Thursday, April 23, 2009

Knitting vs Crochet

Any fiber crafter worth his/her yarn stash can tell the difference between knit and crocheted items. And, oh how we delight ourselves in our superiority when we see one mistaken for the other. Fashion magazines often display " knitted lace tops" when in fact they are really crocheted; catalogs show us " crocheted sweaters" that are actually knit. We gleefully piont out these mistakes to who ever will listen. People who participate in neither of these crafts are woefully unable to distinguish between the construction of these fabrics, but we stitch mavens find it practically blasphemous to refer to one as the other.

Yet there is but one mistake that I have frequently witnessed, both crocheters and knitters make, and that is to believe that crochet ing and knitting are interchangeable. I've even seen books promising that you'll be able to make sometihing using knitting the same when crocheted. The fact of hte matter is, is it just can't happen! Knitting and crocheting are NOT two ways of achieving the same outcome!!!

Crocheting is definitly easier than knitting but both are equally talanted and masters of their trade. It is NOT a bad thing to learn them both! The feud has to END!

2 comments:

  1. having learned crochet at 3 and didnt knit til 4 yrs ago, i like both. but i broke my wrist wheni was 12. so crochet puts me on ice. knitting doesnt have the same twisting action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. It is sort of funny because when I crochet for a long time nonstop my wrist starts to make a loud cracking noise with every twist of my hook. But usually I take brakes every once in a while so it doesn't do that because its pretty loud and annoying.

    ReplyDelete